A trip to a Christmas Market is a magical experience, whether you’re looking to buy gifts or simply to soak up the wonderful atmosphere and sample some of the traditional festive food and drink.
In the past we highlighted a selection of our favourite UK Christmas Markets, which included Birmingham, South Bank Centre London, Bath, Lincoln and Edinburgh.
Please note the change in dates for this year:
Birmingham – Frankfurt Christmas Market – 13th November – 22nd December
London – South Bank Centre Christmas Market – 11th November – 4th January 2015
Bath – Christmas Market – 27th November – 14th December
Lincoln – Christmas Market – 4th – 7th December
Edinburgh – European Christmas Market – 21st November – 4th January 2015
In addition to the above markets you’ll also find further venues across the UK such as:
- Worcester Victorian Christmas Fayre – 27th – 30th November
Consisting of over 150 stalls filling the streets of Worcester, creating a wonderful Christmas atmosphere.
- Chester Christmas Market – 20th November – 14th December
Traditional Christmas chalets selling a whole range of crafts, foods and gifts adorn this historic city.
- Cardiff Christmas Market – 13th November – 23rd December
In it’s 20th year this is a great market to see and sample arts & crafts along with food and drink with a predominantly Welsh influence.
- Winchester Cathedral Christmas Market & Ice Rink – 20th November – 21st December
Held within the historic Inner Close at the foot of the cathedral is this wonderfully magical event.
- Leeds Christkindelmarkt Traditional German Christmas Market – 14th November – 20th December
One of the most established German markets within the UK this should be high on your list, a great event for all the family.
- Manchester Christmas Market – 14th November – 21st December
This award winning market is one of the largest in the UK, held over five weeks it is set in the city’s streets and squares.
If you fancy a small trip:
- Belfast Christmas Market – 15th November – 21st December
This Continental style festive market is guaranteed to get you in the Christmas spirit.
Or how about a trip to Europe?
- Strasbourg Christmas Market, France – 28th November – 31st December
Noted as the oldest Christmas Market in Europe it was originally called “Christkindelsmärik” (market of the Infant Jesus), it features traditional stalls and is full of festive cheer.
- Dresden Christmas Market, Germany – 27th November – 24th December
Dresden plays host to 11 Christmas Markets with traditional, medieval and apres-ski themes, making them a delight for everyone.
- Brussels Christmas Market, Belgium – 28th November – 4th January 2015
A winter wonderland winds it way through the historic town centre, making this market a magical delight.
- Basel Christmas Market, Switzerland – 27th November – 23rd December
Considered to be one of the largest and prettiest Christmas Markets in the country you’ll find a host of events and exhibitions in the run-up to Christmas.
- Vienna Christmas Market, Austria – 15th November – 24th December
There has been a long tradition of December markets in Vienna over the years which has now culminated in an extravaganza of over 20 official Advent markets.
There you have it – a wonderful selection of venues, with many many more to choose from. So make sure a trip to one is on your list this year…if only to soak up the atmosphere, they’re certainly a delight not to be missed! 😉